March 14, 2009

Hearty Split Pea Soup

1 bag (1 pound) dry split peas
8 cups water
2 med potatoes, cubed
2 large onions, chopped
2 med carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
5 tsp. chicken bullion granules
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp salt, optional. (Add after peas are mostly cooked.)

Combine all ingredients except salt in large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1.5 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Stir several times to avoid burnage. =) When peas are mostly cooked add salt to taste. I have found that if I add salt in the beginning when cooking dried beans and peas it prevents them from softening fully. Very frustrating!

Again, sorry but no picture. I thought about it but decided not to since this soup tastes much better than it looks. =)

This is a recipe I got from Taste of Home ages ago and decided to make again this week. I've been on a "fill the freezer with fast food meals" mission as well as a Soup kick. I love soup and love to expand our list of favourites. We eat soup or stew at least 4 or 5 times per week.

Rhonda, this recipe makes me think of you because I know you like it. =) Awww.

No comments: