November 21, 2009

Italian Enchiladas

Ok, so a friend of mine gave out a little challenge to come up with your own recipe and all she gave us was the recipe name "Italian Enchiladas". So, here's what I came up with. It's a very unmeasured recipe for the most part. You'll soon see that it's the ingredients that matter, not necessarily the amounts of each.

First I made an Alfredo sauce. Now, one of the rules was that the recipe had to be original with you. I guess I cheated, cause this sauce isn't original with me but the whole combo of the recipe is. Does that count?

Alfredo Sauce:
1/2 cup butter (REAL BUTTER!)
2 cups cream (I used part whipping cream and topped it off with some evaporated milk)
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
bit of salt
1/4 cup (heaping) Parmesan cheese

Melt butter over med. heat in saucepan. Add cream, and spices and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir often. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Set aside.


Next I fried up some sausage, any kind will do, but I had some Italian sausage that I took out of the casing and fried like hamburger. I added some Italian seasoning and salt since it wasn't very spicy.

In the sausage drippings, I sauteed some onions, red peppers, zucchini, fresh mushrooms, (all chopped or sliced, of course.) garlic and more Italian seasoning. Then I mixed in the sausage.

I took a 9x13 cake pan, and spread just a bit of the Alfredo sauce over the bottom. Then in each of about 12 whole wheat flour tortillas I put a generous amount of the veggie/ sausage mixture along with a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese, rolled it up like a burrito and laid it on the sauce. After the pan was full I covered it all with the remaining Alfredo sauce. Collin thought it needed some tomatoes so I drained a can of diced tomatoes and poured them in a line over the middle of the pan.

Yummy success! It was really good. We all liked it, even Olivia who tends to be quite picky. The only thing on the negative side I can think of is that the sauce is really rich and it sorta sat heavy in my stomach because of that. But for an occasional special meal it would fit the bill quite nicely. And that's my Italian Enchiladas.


2 comments:

Matthew and Rhonda said...

YUM!!! that sounds soo good. well, ok, maybe not the mushrooms, but the peppers sound so good. thanks so much for playing along with us. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! I think I'll try that sometime. ~ Marsha